Did you know the cost of a wrong engineering hire can go up to 3x their annual salary?
That’s because costs go beyond repeating the recruitment process. A bad hire could impact team morale, reduce productivity and even harm your reputation as an employer.
This is why thoroughly evaluating talent during the hiring journey is crucial. In fact, it’s even more critical for remote roles which constitute around 80% of jobs in software engineering.
But how do you recreate the experience of an in-person coding interview online?
In this article, we’ll look at the top coding interview tools for hiring developers in 2023.
Let’s dive right in.
While we may be a little biased, CodeInterview has become the technical interview tool of choice for 3,000+ paying customers and 60,000+ free users as of December 2022. Among others, we’re proud to support companies like HP, Continental, Adobe and Toyota – all organizations with engineering at their core.
If you ask our customers why they use CodeInterview, you’re likely going to hear a statement like:
- It’s easy to use
- The UI is clean and intuitive
- Candidates pick it up immediately
Indeed, providing a hassle-free experience for both interviewers and candidates has been a guiding light for us since starting the company in 2015. After all, interviews are stressful enough as they are.
- Front-end interviewing support for technologies like React, Angular and Vue.js
- High-quality audio and video calls
- Whiteboard mode – collaborate on a virtual whiteboard
- Code playback – revisit candidate solutions on a timeline, keystroke by keystroke.
Who it’s for:
- Companies with low or sporadic hiring needs – if you don’t hire regularly, you can choose a pay as you go plan from $5 per interview.
- Companies with mid to high interview volume – if you conduct more than 100 technical interviews per month, CodeInterview’s enterprise plans are great value, plus you can get unlimited users so you don’t have to constantly manage user access.
Start with a 10-day free trial, opt for pay as you go at $5 per interview or choose a subscription from $49 per month.
CoderPad is a leading platform focused on coding interviews for developers.
One feature we love is the ability to “pause” an interview to allow the candidate to think through the solution without entering into an awkward silence.
This is a great example of CoderPad’s overall dedication to creating a positive candidate experience while providing reliable signals of their coding abilities.
- Take-home projects
- Test cases
- Multiple ATS integrations
Who it’s for:
- Large companies that consistently hire for a variety of engineering roles
CoderPad comes with 2 free interviews per month in case you want to try it out. The paid plans start from $250 per month with 30 interviews and 20 users included.
HackerRank is the most comprehensive solution on this list, serving both candidates and employers.
On one side, candidates can practice their skills, earn certificates and compete against other programmers. On the other, employers can send coding assessments and interview candidates.
As such, HackerRank is a well-known solution in the space with millions of users accessing the site every month.
- Hiring plans – design a technical hiring journey as a flowchart
- Screen import – import code submissions from your screening questions within the live interview with a candidate
- Benchmark developer performance – compare candidate scores with the HackerRank community averages
Who it’s for:
- Large companies looking for an end-to-end technical hiring solution
HackerRank’s interviewing functionality starts from $25 per user per month, although you will not be able to use key features like Code Reviews. Team plans with full access start from $599/per month with 2 users and 720 candidates included.
Codility is another end-to-end solution providing programming competitions, skills assessments and coding interviews.
It boasts an impressive question bank, allowing you to easily prepare interviews and test for a range of roles without having to design your own questions.
- Plagiarism checks
- Canvas – virtual whiteboard powered by Miro
- 90+ languages and technologies supported
Who it’s for:
- Large companies looking to find the very best talent with unique and diverse questions.
Codility’s pricing depends on your hiring volume and is available upon request on their website.
Coderbyte aims to provide the comprehensive feature set of HackerRank and Codility while keeping its price fairly low.
Coderbyte even goes a step further with support for spreadsheet challenges, video responses and Jupyter Notebooks for data science.
- Unlimited candidates, assessments and admins
- Candidate compensation – pay candidates from within Coderbyte
- Custom email templates – tailor messaging for candidates
Who it’s for:
- Companies of any size that hire for a variety of technical roles and look to centralize technical hiring in one place.
Coderbyte subscriptions start from $99 per month with optional add-ons up to $499 depending on your needs and payment schedule.
If you want to streamline your technical hiring in 2023, a coding interview tool is a must in your arsenal.
Our focus here was exploring the positioning of the top players in the coding interview space and highlighting their strongest points so you can decide if they match your needs.
We hope this list will serve as a starting point for selecting a new solution or switching from an existing provider – without having to spend days or weeks researching what’s available.